Re: Need to Log on 2000 users

From: <bulbultyagi_at_now-india.net.in>
Date: Mon, 02 Jun 2003 03:54:42 -0800

Hello list , I tried the same thing but to log on an OS user I have to set remote_os_authent=true in parameter file and SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES = (none) in sqlnet.ora
Why would I need to set remote_os_authent ? shouldn't it be left at its default value of 'false' ? otherwise wouldn't it be a security problem. But I cannot log in my os users till I set remote_os_authent=true

Other details :

Oracle 9.2.0.1.0 enterprise edition on win32

OS_AUTHENT_PREFIX='' create user administrator identified externally default tablespace users
temporary tablespace temp
quota unlimited on users ;

grant create session, create table to administrator;

Munish Bajaj,
If you want your OS users to log into your database, you need to set the OS_AUTHENT_PREFIX parameter in the init ora file for your instance to a string of your like. Oracle's default is OPS$. If your OS user account is JOE. Oracle looks at this account as OPS$JOE. The account is tacked on the OS_AUTHENT_PREFIX. Then, you need to create the ORACLE user account that will correspond to your OS account and make it externally identified.

As sys do the following:
SQL> create user OPS$JOE externally identified; Bear in mind that if you have and OS group called DBA, any member of that group will be able to connect as sysdba, so you need to be careful with the people you put in that group ;-- ) Regards,
Julio
Author: <bulbultyagi_at_now-india.net.in
  INET: bulbultyagi_at_now-india.net.in

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Mon Jun 02 2003 - 06:54:42 CDT