Re: performance of sql loader

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_cybcon.com>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 21:44:39 -0800

On Friday 30 May 2003 12:20, rgaffuri_at_cox.net wrote:
> 1. SQLLOADER with the SQL manipulation is much slower than
> Direct Path SQLLOADER to a staging table, then insert,update, and delete to
> the master table.

Sounds about right. It's been awhile since making heavy use of SQL Loader, but DIRECT is very fast. Not surprising that manipulation could be done after loading a temp table and still be faster than normal SQL Loader.

> 2. As they increased the Array size or the commit size, the performance
> degradated rapidly.
>
> This sounds odd. Anyone else notice this? Or did they just do something
> wrong. Dont know what they did. They tried it before I started, I just have
> hearsay to go on. Sorry about the lack of details.

Not enough information. Increased from what? To what? If you increase the array size enough to start swapping, it may have a negative impact on performance. ;)

Jared

Author: Jared Still
  INET: jkstill_at_cybcon.com