RE: Online index creation on 9.2

From: Jeremiah Wilton <jwilton_at_speakeasy.net>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 14:51:58 -0800

I see, you can't find ot the waits because you don't want to ruin the performance again on purpose. That makes sense!

Online index rebuild has been problematic WRT the journal application phase (among other problems such as abandoned journal segments after cancel or failure) since it was introduced. On highly transactional systems, a variety of waits, mostly library cache related, can occur at the end of the index rebuild. Many more such problems are addressed (fixed) in 9.2.0.3 than were in 8.1.7.

Unfortunately, you probably will need to hit this while doing a 10046 trace with waits in one of the application processes and the index rebuild. ALternatively, multiple systemstate or hanganalyze dumps, or even the output from a typical session's v$session_event or v$session_wait from the time of the slowdown would help support to ID what is actulally going on. Different systems access patterns are not alike enough just to say you have problem X based on your description.

So management can either live with slowness due to indexes not being rebuilt for a long time, an outage to rebuild them in blocking mode, or another shot at the online rebuild to find the root cause and get it fixed for good.

Or you can try to get it to happen under load on a test system.

Hope this helps!

--
Jeremiah Wilton
http://www.speakeasy.net/~jwilton

-- Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.net -- Author: Jeremiah Wilton INET: jwilton_at_speakeasy.net Fat City Network Services -- 858-538-5051 http://www.fatcity.com San Diego, California -- Mailing list and web hosting services --------------------------------------------------------------------- To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing).