RE: 64-bit upgrade

From: Molina, Gerardo <Gerardo.Molina_at_schwab.com>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 14:40:16 -0800

You can upgrade to 64-bit 9.2 from 8.1.7.4 32-bit even though Oracle says you have to do the 32-bit to 64-bit conversion separately. We went from 8.1.7 (32-bit) to 9.2.0.1 (64-bit) on Solaris without having to go to 9.2.0.1 (32-bit). Oracle's official position is that you can do directly but it's not supported. If you want to save yourself some time, then try going directly from 8.1.7.4 32-bit to 9.2 64-bit on a dev environment first to see if it works. Just remember to run $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin/utlirp.sql as a final step. Also, document any invalid objects prior to upgrade process so that you know what was invalid to begin with.

A couple of gotchas to watch out for:

Need to drop any Ixora views X_$... except for X_$KSPPI, X_$KSPPSV, and X_$KSQST (these are used by statspack).

Going from 32-bit to 64-bit, you'll have to adjust shared pool accordingly.

The following Metalink notes are helpful: 62290.1 and 209766.1. Keep in mind that these notes will also say that you have to do the 32-bit to 64-bit conversion separately.

HTH,
Gerardo

Author: Ball, Terry
  INET: TBall_at_birch.com

Author: Molina, Gerardo
  INET: Gerardo.Molina_at_schwab.com
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Thu May 29 2003 - 17:40:16 CDT