C++ Issues

From: Post, Ethan <Ethan.Post_at_ps.net>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 10:51:44 -0800

I am trying to track this down for a buddy, any ideas, I know nothing about C++.

Thanks,
Ethan

Our application currently has presentation programs written in Microsoft Visual C++ that read Oracle Version 7.3.4 databases. We have Oracle Professional/2000 installed on 1 machine. The Pro*C/C++ pre-compiler provided by Oracle is the method we use to pre-compile our program. This pre-compile converts the EXEC SQL commands into C++ calls to incorporate the Oracle Database functions into the programs. Other methods I have found in research is to use OCI or ODBC calls. However everything I look at indicates that we would need to rewrite our applications to utilize additional include libraries as well as modify our SQL calls to wrap them with the appropriate language elements.

We wish to fully utilize the functionality of the Microsoft Visual C++ Professional Edition environment to allow each developer to use their own machine to compile and unit test these programs. However, I am unable to get the pre compile process to work. Pro C will not run on our machines if it is not installed. We get a "Incorrect environment variable. Please reinstall Pro*C/C++" message version error if we try to run the copy that is on the compiler machine from our machine. However, I can not install it because Oracle 7.3.4 does not support Windows 2000 and the installation process abends whenever I try to run it.

What we are looking for is a method to compile, debug, and unit test using C++ on our machine without getting rid of Pro*C/C++ and yet utilize each developer's machine more to remove the load from our compiler machine.

Author: Post, Ethan
  INET: Ethan.Post_at_ps.net

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Thu May 29 2003 - 13:51:44 CDT