FW: Parallel Server --> RAC

From: Tim Gorman <tim_at_sagelogix.com>
Date: Sun, 25 May 2003 12:56:41 -0800

Ian,

Sorry for the unhelpful previous response; I found the situation amusing when it isn't...

RAC is quite clearly the same product as OPS and not a new product. Both clearly are the same code base and are targeted at the exact same markets: H/A and scalability. The older Parallel Server documentation mentions earlier versions of the same components as the newer Real Application Clusters documentation, including such central concepts as "cache fusion", "distributed lock manager", "global cache" wait events and enqueues, etc, etc, etc...

Searching MetaLink on the keywords "OPS RAC", I find (among many others) MetaLink note #181489.1, entitled "Tuning Inter-Instance Performance in RAC and OPS". This document establishes an obvious evolutionary path between the two products that even a marketing person can follow. There are probably others that do so more explicitly...

There is a useful old saying, especially beloved by those in sales: "nothing ventured, nothing gained". Nothing personal, just business. With a little pressure from many fronts however, they might cave. For example, you could offer your future goodwill (i.e. a reference), which is worth actual dollars. If instead they could gain a prestigious referenceable RAC account by converting the existing OPS licenses, they might be persuaded. This is not as craven as it sounds -- why wouldn't you mind to tell your success story to other Oracle prospects, provided you were successful and (implicitly) treated well?

You might not be able to shake them from trying to charge you extra for RAC over OPS; they can simply keep repeating their mantra that it is a different product. But perhaps you can gain a Pyrrhic victory in making them feel silly while doing so...

Your best leverage probably just ended last week, as this month-end is the end of Oracle's fiscal year (sales bookings usually have to be signed the week prior to month end). The month of May is replete with stories of hard bargains driven by savvy customers, aided by sales folks desperate to make quota. OPS and RAC are both well-known quota busters. By the same token, this also means that the pressure has slackened for the salespeople to convert your OPS license into a new RAC sale. You might be able to talk sensibly with them now.

Best of luck...

-Tim

And we all thought the name change was just a sham..... :-)

Author: Tim Gorman
  INET: tim_at_sagelogix.com

------ End of Forwarded Message

Author: Tim Gorman