Re: Re: Sizing - RAC, storage subsystem EMC

From: Arup Nanda <orarup_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 25 May 2003 01:16:39 -0800

Cyril,

You don't just recommend RAC just for the heck of it; the choice is a manifestation of one's business requirements. Your question was what could a compeling reason behind choosing RAC; I could give a few scenarios.

RAC is not a money saving technology; it's a fault tolerant architecture. Typically, SANs are fairly robust, at least more torelant than servers. RAC merely reduces your risk of a database failing by distributing the load across all nodes of RAC. Should a node fail, the other will pick up the load and continue processing. In a business environment where failure has to be absolutely minimized, RAC is the answer. This can be addressed to some extent using standby databases, but you run the risk of losing the last few transactions that could be present in the online redo logs yet to be archived. Multimaster database replication offers the redundancy too, but in an asynch setup you run the same risk of loss of committed transactions and synch mode operation costs a lot in performance. Besides, standby databases and replication solutions cost double the disk space, meaning money and as Rachel pointed out, that means some resistance from the bean counters and double the amount means double the resistance.

I am not sure I undestand the relationship of huge datasets and the use of transportable tablespaces and RAC. RAC is nothing to do with the size of the database; but with the uptime requirement.

About some uses of RAC I have seen where they were absoutely necessary were insurance comapnies who cannot afford to lose a single committed transaction. Or take brokerage and finacial services companies RAC whose requirement is the same. In these cases RAC is the only solution. However, extremely high uptime requirements, like in a stock market, probably dictate more robust architecture like the ones offered by Compaq (now HP) Himalaya severs, extremely fault tolerant but very propietory.

No, I don't work for Oracle, Yahoo or Southwest; but for a "small-ish" company and our requirements of uptime justify RAC.

Hope this helps.

Arup Nanda
www.proligence.com

Author: Arup Nanda