Re: Confusion why online redo logs should never be backed up.

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_cybcon.com>
Date: Sat, 24 May 2003 10:16:45 -0800

Richard,

You must have missed one. :)

There have been 2 occasions where someone has sent me 200 gb worth of database on tape, and the database had not been shutdown properly.

Since the system datafile needed recovery from the online logs, I was very glad to have them.

I have encountered this on a very few other occasions, but can't recall the circumstances of those events.

They are also useful when cloning a DB (without RMAN), though not required. Depends on how the clone will be used.

As with many things, this is not a black and white issue. There are shades of gray. While it certainly not necesssary to normally backup the online logs during a cold backup, it is incorrect to say that they are never useful.

Jared

Author: Jared Still
  INET: jkstill_at_cybcon.com