RE: Upgrade and the Registry

From: Vergara, Michael (TEM) <mvergara_at_guidant.com>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 12:12:08 -0800

Breathe...Lisa...breathe...

Calm...it's a long weekend coming up...calm...

Ok...You can either scrub the Registry or not - your choice. oradim only works on services, not the whole registry. There should be a entry in HKLM\SOFTWARE\ORACLE\ALL_HOMES called DEFAULT_HOME. That's the default. There is a "utility" (I use the term loosely) for setting your current ORACLE_HOME. It works if all you want to do is change the value of ORACLE_HOME; it does NOT change all the other variables in HLKM\SOFTWARE\ORACLE. I think it was built by the OUI team. ;)

I've never tried running both 8 and 9 on the same machine at the same time, so I don't know about how the services will start and know which HOME to use. However, upgrading is much the same as in UNIX. You load the binaries, shut down v8, reset the environment, start 9, and run u08xxxx.sql.

If you've already installed v9, then you probably shouldn't completely scrub the Registry. However, there have been times when I've been working on a completely munged system where a registry cleanout was the only hope I had. I would search the Registry for anything that looked like 'ora', delete what I knew about, and then run Registry First Aid to clean out the rest.

Hey...it's 3:00pm where you are, on a Holiday Friday. This machine will still be waiting for you on Monday. Go to the beach, and have a piņa colada for us!

Cheers,
Mike

Author: Vergara, Michael (TEM)
  INET: mvergara_at_guidant.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Fri May 23 2003 - 15:12:08 CDT