RE: Raid 0+1 or Raid 1+0

From: Stephen Andert <StephenAndert_at_firsthealth.com>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 14:32:05 -0800

Jared,

Which is it? lose 10% or 50% for 0+1? I think one of your statements should say 1+0. If I think hard enough or open a book, I could probably correct it, but I thought that sounded like too much work :)

Stephen

>>> Jared.Still_at_radisys.com 05/22/03 12:17PM >>> With RAID 0+1 you immediately lose 50% of your IO capacity when a drive fails. With a 10 disk RAID 0+1 setup, you lose 10% of your IO capacity with a drive failure.

Stephen Lee <Stephen.Lee_at_DTAG.Com>
Sent by: root_at_fatcity.com
 05/22/2003 07:41 AM
 Please respond to ORACLE-L

        To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>

        cc:
        Subject:        RE: Raid 0+1 or Raid 1+0

I wonder if there would be some difference in write speed with one versus
the other. The only thing I ever played with was stripe then mirror. Stripe then mirror was never a problem for me because I didn't wait around
for another drive to fail. Most software and hardware that does this also
allows you to set up hot spares.

methodology

Author: Stephen Lee
  INET: Stephen.Lee_at_DTAG.Com