RE: Slightly off subject - UniData DB

From: Vergara, Michael (TEM) <mvergara_at_guidant.com>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 08:21:44 -0800

Actually, UNIDATA, UNIVERSE, Pick, et. al. use a modified form of Dartmouth BASIC as their primary programming language. Like Java, it is 'compiled' down to bytecodes, which are then read by the runtime engine. It's actually very fast, especially when compared to Java.

Remember a while back when Larry announced a machine that would boot to the SQL prompt, and have it's o/s functions available from there? That's exactly the Pick model. It used to only run in a native mode environment - you bought a machine with Pick running on it from a vendor like MicroData, Ultimate, Evolution, GA. Now most Pick variants are available to run in most UNIX environments.

I once used Pick to create a patient management system for an eye-doctor friend of mine - I called it PMS. Funny, it went nowhere...wonder why...

Author: Vergara, Michael (TEM)
  INET: mvergara_at_guidant.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Mon May 19 2003 - 11:21:44 CDT