RE: Managing , Maintaning Tables ?

From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 06:11:50 -0800

Rajuveera
The most important lesson to learn is that if you initially set a table up correctly, it will require little attention. People that don't understand that often spend a lot of effort at tasks that mask underlying mistakes. Start by taking a look at:
http://metalink.oracle.com/cgi-bin/cr/getfile_cr.cgi?239049

Next, I would regularly execute DBMS_STATS and then save the table statistics in a schema somewhere. When an issue does arise with a table, having a historical record of the growth patterns will be invaluable. Check the CHAINED_ROWS statistic regularly, and when you take action, fix the problem, don't just make it look better so you have to repeat your action.

If you want a book reference, I feel Oracle9i DBA Handbook by Loney and Theriault does a good job on the fundamentals of physical storage. (patch the following link back together)
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0072193743/qid=1053349726/sr=8
-1/ref=sr_8_1/104-9821609-3347947?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

Dennis Williams
DBA, 80%OCP, 100% DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.
dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com

Author: Veeraraju_Mareddi
  INET: rajuveera_at_satyam.com

Author: DENNIS WILLIAMS
  INET: DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM

to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Mon May 19 2003 - 09:11:50 CDT