Re: Is third party software necessary to use Heterogenous

From: Tim Gorman <>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 13:43:09 -0800

You can download Oracle ODBC drivers for free from "". You can download Sybase ODBC drivers for free from ",6902,11662,00.html?dynamic_query_ yn=N&dropdown_product=2361"...

Sorry about the wrapping of URLs, but all your really need is "" and "" anyway...

on 5/16/03 1:55 PM, at wrote:

> I'm trying to set up a direct connection from one of my Oracle databases to
> a Sybase database. Working from the documentation I read:
> "Generic connectivity is implemented as either a Heterogenous Services ODBC
> agent or a Heterogenous Services OLE DB agent. An ODBC agent and OLE DB
> agent are included as part of your Oracle 8i system. Be sure to use the
> agents shipped with your particular Oracle system and installed in the same
> From this I had assumed that Oracle provided everything necessary for
> Generic Connectivity.
> But while trying to get it to work I came across Note 115098.1 which states
> that a necessary step is:
> "2) Install the 3rd party ODBC Driver"
> So is it possible to connect to a Sybase database without either paying for
> Transparent Gateways or installing 3rd party software or not? Does this
> mean I have to pay for one or the other? Anyone out there done this before
> and have some idea how much it would cost?
> Thanks,
> Jay Miller

Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ:
Author: Tim Gorman

Fat City Network Services    -- 858-538-5051