RE: RE: About an old hint question

From: Stephane Faroult <sfaroult_at_oriolecorp.com>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 08:37:32 -0800

Stored outline being a collection of very precise and specific hints, I would dread them more than hints ... I fully agree with Mladen's 'broadsword' approach, and I am fully comfortable with ALL_ROWS or FIRST_ROWS (which I'd use preferably to USE_HASH or USE_NL to reach the same goal). I feel reasonably comfortable with ORDERED and NO_MERGE, and uneasy with anything naming an index specifically. Which of course doesn't mean 'NEVER ever ....' Broad directions and status of intent are I believe acceptable. But Rich is right to underscore the 'optimize NOW' danger. Most applications developed today are likely to outlive 3 or 4 major Oracle versions and generations of hardware.

SF

Author: Stephane Faroult
  INET: sfaroult_at_oriolecorp.com