Re: SHM

From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala_at_adelphia.net>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 22:26:39 -0800

On 2003.05.14 01:41 shuan.tay\(PCI?G?R??\) wrote:

> Mladen,
>
> Wow...thanks Mladen, that's cool!
> I'm still worry that i have to recompile the kernel,
> since i've never done it successfully, bad luck hah... :(
>
> Oh....the max size of segment i need to echo is in hexa or decimal?
> What entry should i make in sysctl.conf to make it change the setting
> automatically?
> "kernel.shmmax = 20000000"?
> and again....hexa?
>
> Shuan.

vm.overcommit_memory = 1
kernel.shmmax = 1073741824

BTW, if you check your startup files, /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit in particular, you'll
find that it contains something like: sysctl -e -p /etc/sysctl.conf, which is just a fancy way of doing the recommended "echo" commands. No linking necessary
for you. For me, it was a bit different. I have a wirelss lan linked into the kernel,
CISCO VPN, NVIDIA driver, OSS drivers for my soundcard and a few other tweaks to throw
out all those modules. As I said, my kernel is 2.4.20. I had to link it myself.

> Author: =?big5?B?c2h1YW4udGF5XChQQ0m+R7hSs9RcKQ==?=
> INET: shuan.tay_at_pci.co.id

Mladen Gogala
Author: Mladen Gogala