Re: Excessive ORA-12805 parallel query server died unexpectedly errors

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 14:59:04 -0800

>From past experiences - not this version of oracle, though,
I would do the following for experimental reasons. Set:

    parallel_automatic_tuning           FALSE
    parallel_max_servers                 less than 256

I would also look out for bitmap indexes, especially multi-column bitmap indexes and bitmap indexes on partitioned tables to see if they appear regularly in the crash traces.

This is purely based on paranoia - P_A_T is the most likely bit to break because it is the newest - pessimism - if there's a silly mistake, it's on a one-byte boundary so 280 is a threat - and previous bugs (bitmaps and partitioning).

I take it you are seeing "BAD MAGIC NUMBER" in the trace files, or Oracle probably wouldn't ask you to set 10235.

Regards

Jonathan Lewis
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

  The educated person is not the person
  who can answer the questions, but the
  person who can question the answers -- T. Schick Jr

One-day tutorials:
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/tutorial.html

____Denmark__May 21-23rd
____Sweden___June
____Finland__September
____Norway___September

Three-day seminar:
see http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/seminar.html

____UK_(Manchester)_May x 2
____Estonia___June 4th - 6th
____Australia_June 18th - 20th (Perth)
____Australia_June 23rd - 25th (t.b.a)
____USA_(CA, TX)_August

The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ

> List,
>
> We are starting to see a very high number of this error on one of
Production databases running 9i. We have not made any changes related to parallel query processing to the best of my knowledge.

> One workaround was to turn off parallel query at the session level.
Though this takes care of the batch programs, these programs are now running for a long time.

> We have parallel degree set at 4 for tables having more than 1
million rows.

> We have opened a TAR with Oracle and the recommendations include
disabling rac at the oracle executable level since we are not using RAC anymore. Oracle expects the right tracing info. by setting event "10235 trace name context forever, level 2" at the database level.

Author: Jonathan Lewis
  INET: jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk