RE: RE: Data warehouse book- need recommendation please

From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 12:56:54 -0800

    See Stephane's post. I think all his references are vendor-independent. I think you can read materials at a lot of these sites to get some general ideas.

    I personally have found great benefit from Ralph Kimball's books. I feel he does a good job of giving the big picture. As an example, here is a point that is not often understood by beginning DW designers. The point you are modeling, is it a single event like a scan by a cash register, or is it more complicated like a warehouse where you have a balance at the beginning of the period and a balance at the end of the period. But you also receive items throughout the month and have withdrawals and if your model doesn't include these, you may be missing critical information.

    Understanding what you are modeling is very critical in creating a design that will provide useful answers.

Dennis Williams
DBA, 80%OCP, 100% DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.
dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com