Why "multiple of 5" blocks --- was Re: buffer cache -once again

From: Hemant K Chitale <hkchital_at_singnet.com.sg>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 08:26:51 -0800

Jonathan,

Just curious [and I may have read this earlier but have forgotten it if I have done so ..]
where did the "multiple of 5" blocks rule come from. It's been around since, what Oracle6 ? Why not "multiple of 4" which is a power of 2. [or did they want an extra block as a header block ?] Hemant

Hemant K Chitale
My personal web site is : http://hkchital.tripod.com

Author: Hemant K Chitale
  INET: hkchital_at_singnet.com.sg