Re: RE: Renaming tablespace by updating SYS.TS$

From: Ryan <rgaffuri_at_cox.net>
Date: Fri, 09 May 2003 19:14:52 -0800

We are renaming them in our staging database.

Let me explain further. We have:

  1. Staging Database.. where we load the data to a staging table, then we scrub it and move it to another tablespace in its 'final' verseion before transport
  2. Production server on a remote site.

We change the name in our staging server. The users dont have access to it. Its just for loading and scrubbing. If we transport tablespace 'A' every day then we have 50 tablespace A's. So we need new names. Now lets say we do use 2 tablespaces in our staging server? Then we need to copies of our tables in their final veresion. These are upwards of 40-50 GBs. These would need to be copied EVERY day. This is alot of additional I/O on top of:

  2. Inserts, updates, and deletes to scrub the data
  3. Bandwidth to transport the tablespace to the remote site.
  4. Once at the remote site we actually import them to multiple databases for different applications.

This has to be done serially and takes time. We cant take on the additional I/O of maintaining 2 identical tablespaces in our staging server.

Was it clear this time?
Author: Ryan
  INET: rgaffuri_at_cox.net