RE: Renaming tablespace by updating SYS.TS$

From: Mercadante, Thomas F <NDATFM_at_labor.state.ny.us>
Date: Fri, 09 May 2003 07:52:16 -0800

R,

I have just the obvious observations.

It's not supported. If the DB get's hosed, OWS will not help you. Just because it works in the release you are currently running, it may not work in a future release - you may migrate your database to a new Oracle release, perform your magic, and the DB may just hose itself. Testing this process in itself becomes another "task" that you, as the DBA, must perform prior to migrating to a new Oracle release.

I would investigate the "proper" way of doing this. It sounds like you are simply updating a tablespace once a week. What's wrong with dropping the tablespace in the target database and transporting the TS from source to target, rather than what you are doing? At least you would not be messing with system tables.

Sooner or later, this will come back and bite you.

Just my opinion. I wouldn't do it.

Tom Mercadante
Oracle Certified Professional

Author: Mercadante, Thomas F
  INET: NDATFM_at_labor.state.ny.us

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Fri May 09 2003 - 10:52:16 CDT