Re: RE: DBMS_STATS vs. analyze

From: Stephen Andert <StephenAndert_at_firsthealth.com>
Date: Thu, 08 May 2003 12:57:16 -0800

Stale works if you have enabled monitoring for an object. If enabled, it keeps an approximate count of insert/update/delete activity. Analyze Stale only analyzes objects where there has been more than 10% (I think) change. This means on a 100 million row table, if there are 100,000 inserts/updates/deletes, you will not analyze that.

Saves time because you only analyze things that have changed a statistically significant amount.

HTH Stephen

>>> rgaffuri_at_cox.net 05/08/03 12:12PM >>>
dont quite follow the 'gather stale' option. does this mean it only gathers stats on blocks that have changed so its alot faster,, correct?

> From: "Jamadagni, Rajendra" <Rajendra.Jamadagni_at_espn.com>
> Date: 2003/05/08 Thu PM 02:47:47 EDT
> To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
> Subject: RE: DBMS_STATS vs. analyze
>
> dbms_stats
> 1. stats can be gathered in parallel
> 2. stats can be exported/imported
> 3. gather stale option
> 4. gather auto option
>
> analyze
> ???
>
> dbms_stats Vs Analyze 4-0 ...
>
> Raj
>

> ----
> Rajendra dot Jamadagni at nospamespn dot com
> All Views expressed in this email are strictly personal.

e-mail message is confidential, intended only for the named recipient(s) above and may contain information that is privileged, attorney work product or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you have received this message in error, or are not the named recipient(s), please immediately notify corporate MIS at (860) 766-2000 and delete this e-mail message from your computer, Thank

Author: Stephen Andert
  INET: StephenAndert_at_firsthealth.com