Re: Why Was IOUG Attendance So Low?

From: Daniel W. Fink <optimaldba_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 07 May 2003 10:27:02 -0800

I recall an article posted several months ago about the Hotsos Symposium. The gist was that the training dollars are being spent on more focused events and less on general conferences, like IOUG.

For the past several years, the content of IOUG was somewhat lacking. However, this year, the content was excellent. Most of the time, it was difficult to decide what to see. With fewer new people entering the Oracle world, the need for introductory presentations has declined. It seems like the more advanced sessions really packed in the people. In order for IOUG to reverse the trend, they need to continue to improve the content. Techies and Management need to see the value in sending the employee away for a week and paying a couple of thousand dollars in expenses.

The attendance at RMOUG this year was down (for the first time) about 10%, which was not unexpected considering the economy here in Denver. One reason we are able to keep our attendance up is the low cost. Most people are local, so no travel expense. The full price of the conference is less than $500 (including 2 sit down lunches). We do attract attendees from elsewhere, but the overall costs of Denver are much less than Orlando (for example).

--
Daniel W. Fink
http://www.optimaldba.com

-- Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.net -- Author: Daniel W. Fink INET: optimaldba_at_yahoo.com Fat City Network Services -- 858-538-5051 http://www.fatcity.com San Diego, California -- Mailing list and web hosting services --------------------------------------------------------------------- To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing).