RE: Using bits to store information in the database.

From: Jesse, Rich <Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com>
Date: Wed, 07 May 2003 08:57:24 -0800

Then wouldn't this be easier to maintain/query/document/etc if that column were in a separate table with a one-to-many join?

Under our old manufacturing system (written in DIBOL!), we had a column in the partmaster of 128 bits. Any part could be in any number of 128 buckets. Not only was this very difficult to program, but a showstopper when the 129th bucket was proposed.

Do yourself a favor. Dump the column into another table!

My $.02,
Rich

Rich Jesse                        System/Database Administrator
rich.jesse_at_qtiworld.com           Quad/Tech International, Sussex, WI USA

Author: Jesse, Rich
  INET: Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com

to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Wed May 07 2003 - 11:57:24 CDT