RE: Of CLOB's, multi-byte characters and NCLOB's...

From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM>
Date: Tue, 06 May 2003 06:02:22 -0800

Steve

   I just love inconsistent documentation:

Dennis Williams
DBA, 60%OCP, 100% DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.
dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, May 05, 2003 7:32 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L

Here's a copy/paste from the Oracle docs on CLOB's and NCLOBS.

CLOB Datatype
The CLOB datatype stores single-byte character data. Both fixed-width and variable-width character sets are supported, and both use the CHAR database character set. CLOBs can store up to 4 gigabytes of character data.

NCLOB Datatype
The NCLOB datatype stores multibyte national character set character (NCHAR) data. Both fixed-width and variable-width character sets are supported. NCLOBs can store up to 4 gigabytes of character text data.

The docs make it sound like CLOB's only store single-byte data and not multi-byte data. On a UTF8 database we were able to store Japanese kanji in a column of type CLOB. In a browser the kanji displays as kanji according to our session NLS settings. (Pardon my apparent xenophobia but they just look like chicken scratchings to me ;-)

Author: Orr, Steve
  INET: sorr_at_rightnow.com

Author: DENNIS WILLIAMS
  INET: DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM

Author: Orr, Steve
  INET: sorr_at_rightnow.com

Author: DENNIS WILLIAMS
  INET: DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Tue May 06 2003 - 09:02:22 CDT