RE: Oracle 10

From: Mark Leith <mark_at_cool-tools.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 06 May 2003 02:31:59 -0800

RE: Oracle 10Patrice,

This is not entirely true. The web server host could in fact be a third tier to the client / database (just like Apps Server).. The web server just needs to have access to the database server on the specified port - and have the proper Oracle connectivity built in to it for SQL*Net/Net8 connectivity..

The person using the "tool" has to be able to connect to the "web server", whether that be via a true "web interface", or server actively connected to the internet (haha yea, loads of people do that!), or more commonly via VPN, or RAS connections and joining the network (with extra layers of encryption, SecurID etc.)..

This is how *I* would recommend any "browser based" tool be run anyway - personally..

Granted, the initial "knee-jerk" reaction to "web based management tools" is to put your tongue between your teeth, bite down, and draw in a sharp breath - but with a little thought (and maybe a chat with your security guys) you really can come up with a viable, secure solution..

This of course has nothing to do with automatic patching.. WOW! ;)

Mark
    From: Goulet, Dick [mailto:DGoulet_at_vicr.com]     Sent: Monday, May 05, 2003 3:30 PM
    To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L     Subject: RE: Oracle 10

    More info on the subject at:

http://www.computerweekly.com/articles/article.asp?liArticleID=121406&liFlav ourID=1

    Dick Goulet
    Senior Oracle DBA
    Oracle Certified 8i DBA

          Author: Boivin, Patrice J
            INET: BoivinP_at_mar.dfo-mpo.gc.ca

The information contained in this communication, including attachments, is strictly
confidential and for the intended use of the addressee only; it may also contain
proprietary, price sensitive, or legally privileged information. Notice is hereby given that
any disclosure, distribution, dissemination, use, or copying of the information by anyone
other than the intended recipient is strictly prohibited and may be illegal. If you have
received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail,
delete this communication, and destroy all copies.

Corporate Systems, Inc. has taken reasonable precautions to ensure that any attachment to
this e-mail has been swept for viruses. We specifically disclaim all liability and will
accept no responsibility for any damage sustained as a result of software viruses and advise
you to carry out your own virus checks before opening any attachment.

Author: Mark Leith
  INET: mark_at_cool-tools.co.uk