Re: Oracle 10

From: Glenn Stauffer <stauffer_at_swarthmore.edu>
Date: Mon, 05 May 2003 16:56:37 -0800

Pete Sharman wrote:

> I think this is slightly misleading wording that should have said
> something like:
>
> "When you use OEM. you can see things like tablespace fragmentation
> within a single database."
>
> I haven't seen the product at all, so I might be completely wrong on
> this, but to me it read more like "Here's a GUI that allows you to
> check fragmented tablespaces for all the databases you manage is a
> single view, rather than clicking on a single database, then drilling
> into the fragmentation for that database". To me, that sounds like it
> would be useful. Sort of like a health check on a certain aspect
> (like fragmentation) across all the databases you administer.

The key words are 'aggregate' as in this quote a few sentences earlier in the article "Database staff using the Oracle Enterprise Manager product will be able to aggregate multiple databases and other Oracle-based systems in a single browser-based view"; and 'at one time' in the earlier cited quote, "Currently, administrators are generally limited to managing the health of a single system at one time. ". The point comes clear once you get that.

Isn't the automated patch install capability really aimed at RAC installations where you could be a large installation of like-configured servers? And it isn't automatic or mandatory; without trying it for myself, my impression was that you could use it strictly to go get the patches, do manual patch installs, and, once you were happy with the system, automate it all if you were satisfied that the whole thing worked. As for the web interface, does licensing allow the OMS on a separate machine so that the web server doesn't need to be running on the DBMS server? Web interfaces don't need to be insecure; there are plenty of well-know techniques for securing web services and VPN, for instance, can provide secure remote connection. I think OEM 4 has promise. Scripts are nice and I use them all the time but they are not without their limitations. A GUI application that aggregates information for all of your IAS and DB instances would seem to me to provide a useful picture of the health of your entire system and could be a very handy management tool so long as you understand the details behind the pictures and the limitations of the tool. Nothing's everything to everyone; but some things can make life easier and save time; silly to give them short shrift.

Glenn Stauffer

Author: Glenn Stauffer
  INET: stauffer_at_swarthmore.edu