RE: Oracle 10

From: Goulet, Dick <DGoulet_at_vicr.com>
Date: Mon, 05 May 2003 08:27:29 -0800

A couple of years ago, probably ancient history now, I was at a software demo for a company I will not name. They had this wis bang tool to monitor all of your database and unix servers, NT too. There were these AI agents on board that would look out for performance problems and "take corrective action before users were impacted". One of the items they watched (and bragged about watching it as a performance problem) was the old BCHR. Now if the ratio fell below their specified limit, which I believe was 70%, the agent would automatically adjust it. Now back then we all know how one "adjusted the Buffer Cache", so I put it to the person doing the demo as to what would the agent do exactly. Well I imagine you can guess the answer, to which I asked "When?". The answer of course was "Immediately". Yeah right, your going to bounce my production database right in the middle of the day!! So although Oracle may not be listening their not totally off base either. There are third parties out there that advocate the same thing.

Dick Goulet
Senior Oracle DBA
Oracle Certified 8i DBA

Author: Rachel Carmichael
  INET: wisernet100_at_yahoo.com

The information contained in this communication, including attachments, is strictly

confidential and for the intended use of the addressee only; it may also contain

proprietary, price sensitive, or legally privileged information. Notice is hereby given that

any disclosure, distribution, dissemination, use, or copying of the information by anyone

other than the intended recipient is strictly prohibited and may be illegal. If you have

received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail,

delete this communication, and destroy all copies.

Corporate Systems, Inc. has taken reasonable precautions to ensure that any attachment to

this e-mail has been swept for viruses. We specifically disclaim all liability and will

accept no responsibility for any damage sustained as a result of software viruses and advise

you to carry out your own virus checks before opening any attachment.

Author: Goulet, Dick
  INET: DGoulet_at_vicr.com