Re: 64bit advantages

From: Hemant K Chitale <hkchital_at_singnet.com.sg>
Date: Sat, 03 May 2003 02:12:37 -0800

I am not sure I see any advantages in 64-bit for most databases.

Note 107201.1 on MetaLink is supposed to be on the advantages of 64-bit. Other than larger SGAs and larger DataFiles, it doesn't really say anything. [My largest SGA is 1.5GB -- already on Tru64 !! -- and largest Database is 160GB,
so I really don't need 64-bit Oracle].
Issues mentioned in the note are :
"64-bit computing may not be required everywhere in an environment. For example,
  in a three-tier architecture, the back-end database server may be 64-bit, but
  application servers and clients can remain 32-bit. Applications that do not   require 64-bit features should remain 32-bit applications.

  Scalability on 64-bit machines does not plateau as quickly as 32-bit systems.
  64-bit machines are therefore an ideal choice for applications that require a
  large amount of computing power or expect significant future growth and need
  the scalability of 64-bit addressability.

  32-bit databases run on systems with a small number of 32-bit CPUs (4-6) may
  see some degradation in performance if moved to 64-bit systems also with a   small number of 64-bit CPUs.

  Applications will achieve the benefits of improved scalability on-64 bit   machine only if they are memory intensive. 64-bit applications have bigger data
  structures because memory has to be addressed with a larger number of bits.   Larger data structures translate into addtional memory requirements per   process.

  64-bit systems work more effectively when running with a large number of CPUs. "

The Note, however, might be outdated.

That said, unfortunately,Solaris and Wintel are the only platforms where Oracle is
still available as 32-bit software. 10i will be only 64-bit [as 9iRel2 is the last 9iRelease]

See Notes 223145.1 and 149914.1

Hemant

At 12:07 PM 02-05-03 -0800, you wrote:

>Besides being able to address larger amounts of memory and filesizes,
>what are the other advantages of running 64bit Oracle?? This is for
>Solaris 2.8 running 8.1.7 and 9.2.
>
>Thanks everyone,
>Suzy
>--