RE: Standby/Replicated database for reporting functionality

From: Freeman Robert - IL <FREEMANR_at_tusc.com>
Date: Fri, 02 May 2003 08:11:48 -0800

Actually, if I recall my version features correctly, you do not need step 3 anymore in 8i. You configure net8 to move the archived redo logs across as they are generated.

Also, look into Oracle9i and it's new features including logical standby database. I'm doing a 9i physical standby database implimentation right now and it's been smoooooth... well, ok, there was the bug with autoextend in 9.2.0.3... and there was the 9.2.0.2 bug with the ora-600's that made me have to goto 9.2.0.3.... ok, so it wasn't that smooth, but it's smooth now.

With a Logical Standby you can add additional schema objects, such as indexes and MVIews, which can make your reporting much easier and faster AND.... you can update the database and report from it at the same time. Downside, in my view, is that it's a bit more complex to manage than physical standby.

RF

Author: Rachel Carmichael
  INET: wisernet100_at_yahoo.com

Author: Freeman Robert - IL