Re: archiving data

From: Arup Nanda <orarup_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 31 May 2003 21:54:39 -0800

I just did a few tests with a LONG field in a table. Final Answer: data more than 64K is properly loaded using COPY.

Test Setup

Used a plain text file, s.dat in unix with 97885 characters (97K) . Created a table LT3 with only one field COL1 LONG. Used SQL*Loader to load the data into the table. The controlfile looks like this

load data
infile 's.dat' "var 5"
into table lt3
(
col1 position(1:100000) char)

I placed a number 99000 in the beginning of the line 1 on the file s.dat to indicate the length. After loading to the table LT3, I created a table LT4 as follows

SQL> set long 99000
SQL> copy from ananda/tiger_at_anw1 create lt4 using select * from lt3

Then the long size was changed and I created two more tables

SQL> set long 64000
SQL> copy from ananda/tiger_at_anw1 create lt5 using select * from lt3

SQL> set long 80
SQL> copy from ananda/tiger_at_anw1 create lt6 using select * from lt3

Finally, I created a third table to hold the data in LOB format so that I can measure it.

SQL> set long 99000
SQL> insert into lt7 select 3, to_lob(col1) from lt3;
SQL> insert into lt7 select 4, to_lob(col1) from lt4;
SQL> insert into lt7 select 5, to_lob(col1) from lt5;
SQL> insert into lt7 select 6, to_lob(col1) from lt6;
SQL> commit;

SQL> select col1, dbms_lob.getlength(col2) from lt7;

      COL1 DBMS_LOB.GETLENGTH(COL2)

---------- ------------------------
         3                    96057
         4                    96057
         5                    63996
         6                       76

4 rows selected.

The results speak for themselves. As you can see, the COPY command correctly copied data from one table to the other where the chunk was about 97K, more than the 64K limit you mentioned. But the key was setting the LONGSIZE parameter in SQL*Plus. When I set it a low value, like 80 bytes, the value was truncated.

Hope this helps in your archiving strategy.

Arup Nanda
www.proligence.com

Author: Arup Nanda
  INET: orarup_at_hotmail.com