RE: performance impact (Out Of Office)

From: Stephen Andert <StephenAndert_at_firsthealth.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 20:52:00 -0800

I am out of office until 5/5. I am not reacheable by pager. I will be checking my voice mail and e-mail at least daily.

>>> ORACLE-L 04/28/03 21:12 >>> I am out of office until 5/5. I am not reacheable by pager. I will be checking my voice mail and e-mail at least daily.

>>> ORACLE-L 04/28/03 20:44 >>> I am out of office until 5/5. I am not reacheable by pager. I will be checking my voice mail and e-mail at least daily.

>>> ORACLE-L 04/28/03 20:21 >>> I am out of office until 5/5. I am not reacheable by pager. I will be checking my voice mail and e-mail at least daily.

>>> ORACLE-L 04/28/03 20:06 >>> I am out of office until 5/5. I am not reacheable by pager. I will be checking my voice mail and e-mail at least daily.

>>> ORACLE-L 04/28/03 19:53 >>> I am out of office until 5/5. I am not reacheable by pager. I will be checking my voice mail and e-mail at least daily.

>>> ORACLE-L 04/28/03 19:27 >>> I am out of office until 5/5. I am not reacheable by pager. I will be checking my voice mail and e-mail at least daily.

>>> ORACLE-L 04/28/03 19:01 >>> I am out of office until 5/5. I am not reacheable by pager. I will be checking my voice mail and e-mail at least daily.

>>> ORACLE-L 04/28/03 18:37 >>> I am out of office until 5/5. I am not reacheable by pager. I will be checking my voice mail and e-mail at least daily.

>>> ORACLE-L 04/28/03 17:36 >>> Roger

   This is an extra-cost option available only with Oracle Enterprise Edition.
Since they get extra money for it, Oracle is very generous with marketing
material. Check at http://technet.oracle.com. Also the Oracle manuals are
online at this site so you can read what the manual has to say.

   Basically, partitioning allows you to divide a large table into smaller
physical tables. This can make them more manageable. Imagine your 400-gig
table holds 5 years of data. Each year you would like to add a new year of
data and remove the oldest year. With a regular table this would take a long
time. With partitioning, you can store each year in a partition and just truncate the oldest year. Many maintenance tasks are easier with partitioning.

   If your application performs full table scans of this data, if the partition key is part of the WHERE clause, Oracle can perform query rewrite
and just scan the partition(s) with the data needed to satisfy your query.

   You can also partition the indexes on a partitioned table.

Dennis Williams
DBA, 40%OCP, 100% DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.
dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com

Author: Roger Xu
  INET: roger_xu_at_dp7uptx.com

Author: DENNIS WILLIAMS
  INET: DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM

Author: Roger Xu
  INET: roger_xu_at_dp7uptx.com

Author: DENNIS WILLIAMS
  INET: DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM

Author: Stephen Andert
  INET: StephenAndert_at_firsthealth.com

Author: Stephen Andert
  INET: StephenAndert_at_firsthealth.com

Author: Stephen Andert
  INET: StephenAndert_at_firsthealth.com

Author: Stephen Andert
  INET: StephenAndert_at_firsthealth.com

Author: Stephen Andert
  INET: StephenAndert_at_firsthealth.com

Author: Stephen Andert
  INET: StephenAndert_at_firsthealth.com

Author: Stephen Andert
  INET: StephenAndert_at_firsthealth.com

Author: Stephen Andert
  INET: StephenAndert_at_firsthealth.com

Author: Stephen Andert
  INET: StephenAndert_at_firsthealth.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Mon Apr 28 2003 - 23:52:00 CDT