Re: my initial storage division for SAN

From: Arun Annamalai <oracle_at_shakaboom.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 11:01:35 -0800

Hi Rahul.

I m not sure why do you have to do Raid(0 +1) for index and data tablespaces, you might as well do Raid 5. If you either do Raid 0 or Raid 1 then its worth comparing between those two choices i.e. with Raid 5.

Other fact is that if you have Raid 5, it doesnt matter where you place your datafiles or logfiles, from the "system admin perspective" its writing to all disks(refer to concepts of Raid 5). Only it matters when you strip using volume manager. Are you using veritas volumne manager?

-Arun.

chao, my reason to let the archived logs from both the instances on one volume is that, instance B is not very
busy, and i do not expect any kind of contection between arch processes of A & B using the same volume

SAME is another concept which i have never tried.. i will go thru it also.. thanks for reminding ;-))

> rahul sharma,
> hi, one question, 300GB to place archivelogs from a&b, they should be
seperated , right? unless you use cluster filesystem, you cannot let the two node mount the same volume, right?
> and maybe SAME rule works for you, consider it.And whether your system is
write intensive, you can check it like:

> 13:08:50 perfstat_at_BIDDB.EACHNET.COM> @readwrite
>
> Total buffer
> -------------
> 1.6515E+10
>
> Elapsed: 00:00:00.48
> old 2: :totalcost := &totalcost;
> new 2: :totalcost := 1.6515E+10;
>
> PL/SQL procedure successfully completed.
>
> Elapsed: 00:00:00.01
>
> total execution
> ---------------
> 1218693220
>
> Elapsed: 00:00:00.29
> old 2: :totalexec :=&totalexec;
> new 2: :totalexec :=1218693220;
>
> PL/SQL procedure successfully completed.
>
> Elapsed: 00:00:00.02
>
> SQL_TYPE Total buffer total execution average Cost 成本比率
执行比率
> ---------- ------------- --------------- ------------ ---------- ---------
-
> BEGIN 2848457875 232752041 12.238165 17.24
19.09
> DECLA 218094451 6762742 32.2494117 1.32
.55
> DELET 47111763 1617433 29.1274897 .28
.13
> INSER 320604425 41939893 7.64437871 1.94
3.44
> SELEC 1.2343E+10 880118415 14.0239731 74.73
72.21
> UPDAT 737797721 55448104 13.3060947 4.46
4.54

> column totalcost heading "Total buffer " new_value totalcost
> select sum(buffer_gets) totalcost from v$sql;
> variable totalcost number;
>
> begin
> :totalcost := &totalcost;
> end;
> /
>
> col totalexec heading "total execution" new_value totalexec
> select sum(executions) totalexec from v$sql;
> variable totalexec number;
> begin
> :totalexec :=&totalexec;
> end;
> /
>
> select upper(substr(sql_text,1,5)) SQL_TYPE,sum(buffer_gets) TotalCost
,sum(executions) TotalExec
> ,sum(buffer_gets)/sum(executions) "average Cost",
> trunc(Sum(buffer_gets)/(:totalcost),4)*100 "成本比率",
> Trunc(sum(executions)/(:totalexec),4)*100 "执行比率"
> from v$sql
> group by upper(substr(sql_text,1,5))
> having sum(buffer_gets)>100000;
>

> >we are in a process of migratin our instances to SAN, i have been given
the
> >task of
> >dividing the SAN storage :-((
> >
> >here are my initial setup, we have been given a 1TB box ... please let me
> >know if i am missing something
> >
> >(two instances A & B)
> > - 36GB x 2 for redo logs 3 groups of two members each 500M size,
> >multiplexed instance A
> > - 36GB x 2 for redo logs 3 groups of two members each 500M size,
> >multiplexed instance B
> >- 300GB to hold archive logs from A & B , mirrored
> >- 36GB drive for TEMP A & B
> >
> >the rest of the storage will be divided into DATA and INDEX for A & B ,
my
> >question is.. should we make
> >RAID5 for data and index ?? or individual drives ? we know the IO
patterns
> >for all the tablespaces, ideally the write intensive tbs should be
RAID(1+0)
> >, but we might not have enough space if we do that. !! (have i answerd
all
> >my questions ??? ;-))
> >
> >i would appreciate any comments from you guys who have DB's running on
SAN.

Author: rahul sharma
  INET: rahul_at_infotech.co.id

Author: Arun Annamalai