Re: Opinions request - Oracle on WIN2K vs Unix

From: david davis <ddoralist_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 08:01:47 -0800

Darrell,

The reason we are considering the move is because the CIO said to consider it. Last year it was consider moving to SQL Server. Thankfully, I dodged that bullet - porting costs were too high.

>From his level (and he "loves" microsoft) is that the hardware is a lot more
expensive for the non-Intel Unix servers. Which is somewhat true. Though our own internal studies a couple of years ago, was that Unix servers were cheaper to manage than Windows servers. Something to do with the frequency of problems/reboots/security patches. But, when the demi-god "Evil I believe" on high says to do something - we kind of have to if we want to keep our jobs. All we need to do is provide evidence to counter his view. He keeps us on our toes by challenging the status quo. Which isn't a bad thing - but it is annoying.

David

Author: david davis
  INET: ddoralist_at_hotmail.com