RE: Oracle Alert to cell phone

From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 07:16:55 -0800

Arvind

   The method we've been using is to send an email to the cell phone or pager. This has the advantage that you can debug the script without driving yourself nuts. There are a number of commercial products to do this. My issue is that they tend to alert you for everything and you must go through and decide what threshold to use for each alert. If you are on Solaris, Teamquest is a general system administrator monitoring tool that can do the basics on Oracle and is pretty cheap per server. Myself, I've been trying to put together a script that scans the alert log and emails any new ORA errors that arise. I have found several scripts by Googling, but haven't been too happy with any one so far. Of course, if the tool runs on the server, and the server goes down you won't get notified. Fortunately our servers have been pretty reliable so that isn't too big an issue.

Dennis Williams
DBA, 40%OCP, 100% DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.
dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com

Author: Arvind Kumar
  INET: arvindk_at_sqlstarintl.com

Author: DENNIS WILLIAMS
  INET: DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Fri Apr 25 2003 - 10:16:55 CDT