Re: External tables

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 00:26:47 -0800

So if a couple of lines in the file acquired some dirty data (e.g. a tab character pushes a line out of position) there are two possible options -

  1. The query crashes because the external table definition does not allow bad data.
  2. The query returns the wrong answer because the external table definition allows for an unlimited number of errors, so the line is ignored.

Historically, your client may have had code to alert an administrator at load time, so that the data could be checked and cleaned before the user accessed it.

I've found a good use for external tables, so I have nothing against the concept per se - however, I do think it is important to throw a little cold water around when people suggest that an external table definition is a substitute for a sql load. In many cases the effect of the external table is to move the trivial part of the load into database.

Regards

Jonathan Lewis
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

  The educated person is not the person
  who can answer the questions, but the
  person who can question the answers -- T. Schick Jr

One-day tutorials:
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/tutorial.html

____UK_______April 22nd
____USA_(FL)_May 2nd