RE: Opinions request - Oracle on WIN2K vs Unix

From: Goulet, Dick <DGoulet_at_vicr.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 14:37:22 -0800

Dave,

        No that's not a stock tip. If your that far down the barrel to be taking stock tips from me, the barrel bottom is way over your head.

        I guess I should not gripe about M$ so much. We run all but one Oracle instance on HP-UX. That one hang out there instance is on WIN NT for ADP. The total number of clients for this DB is 2, one internal and then ADP. It's running 7.2 of Oracle because ADP can't get their act in gear. And for the most part it's not a problem for us. Either it's working or you call ADP to fix it. Of course when you call them it'll be 10 days before they can get someone out to actually fix it, which means no payroll. Thankfully for the payroll folks the old interface to People Soft still works. And they haven't accumulated any rust on those procedures, yet! BTW, the M$ guys here rebooting the monster every week helps too.

        Now I can see your companies complaint, HP ain't cheap. But if you want the lower cost of Intel based hardware & the reliability of HP-UX or AIX then a move over to Linux is a real no brainer. Especially when you factor in the cost of WIN2K versus Red Hat 8. By the last information that I have that's $1,560 vs. $849 respectively. Plus the cost of aspirin, Excedrin, Ibuprophen or whatever is your favorite (non alcoholic) pain reliever. As for having to run SQL*Server well your stuck with WIN2K there.

Dick Goulet
Senior Oracle DBA
Oracle Certified 8i DBA

Author: david davis