RE: Opinions request - Oracle on WIN2K vs Unix

From: Darrell Landrum <DLANDRUM_at_zalecorp.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 14:28:03 -0800

Here's one thought. With windows you're always running one vendor's OS on another vendor's hardware. With HP, in all cases that I've seen, you're running HP's OS on HP hardware. That amounts to very different quality of support.

>>> ddoralist_at_hotmail.com 04/24/03 05:01PM >>>
Tony,

Thanks for the insight. One point I should be clear about this is not about
Linux (free) vs Windows as in the previous thread. Linux is not even in the
ballpark (please no flames - I have no personal complaint with Linux). Its
about the money spent (chargeback) on a Risc processor based Unix server (HP
K580 actually) vs the cheaper hardware for Intel.

>From a cost perspective on hardware its an easy sell. The unknown for
me, is
the support/management/reliability aspect on Win2k.

thx again
David

>From: "Tony Johnson" <Tony_Johnson_at_Trimble.com>
>To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
>Subject: RE: Opinions request - Oracle on WIN2K vs Unix
>Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 13:18:33 -0800
>
>2nd thread of the day on this. Here's my input ...
>
>We have 3 dev environments ( Dev, Test, Beta ). Dev on a standalone
>machine with Test, Beta and Production on Microsoft Cluster System
>and Oracle Failsafe. All running 92021 Enterprise with Partitioning.
>Test and Dev DB's are in the 25g range with Production over 100g and
>expected to be over 500g by the Fall.
>
>We are extremely satisified with Win2K and plan on going ahead with
>in in a RAC configurations later this year. If you have a Windows
>knowledgable staff then this may be the way to go. Coming from a
>Unix background you staff will make the transition and all the jobs,
>scripts, etc. will port much easier to Linux. You wont be able to
>run SQL Server on Linux so you are looking at Win2k for that.
>Some of us come from Unix backgrounds but it has been so long
>on this platform that we are very comfortable with it and have
>no plans on changing.

{pronounced

Author: david davis
  INET: ddoralist_at_hotmail.com