Re: External tables

From: Stephen Andert <StephenAndert_at_firsthealth.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 15:46:38 -0800

Dave,

As a matter of fact, I have. I've done some SQL*Loader tuning so with the release of 9i I asked the same question. The two areas are covered in my presentation next week at IOUG. If you can't make it, the white papers should be available to members sometime after the conference.

The high level answer is it depends. If the data in your external tables needs to be accessed in a random manner (i.e. lookup tables) you might be better off loading the data and then using normal tables. In one case where we are considering using external tables, it is a daily pipeline so every day the data changes and we read the data once and insert, update or delete a record in an existing table. Since we are reading the whole table anyway, the time difference between external and internal tables is marginal and saves the load time.

Good luck.
Stephen

>>> turner_at_tellme.com 04/23/03 03:31PM >>>
Has anyone benchmarked external tables versus sqlldr for loading data? Before
I start using external tables I thought I'd see if it was worth my time.

Dave

Author: David Turner
  INET: turner_at_tellme.com

Author: Stephen Andert