RE: TEMP space in Oracle 817

From: Whittle Jerome Contr NCI <Jerome.Whittle_at_scott.af.mil>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 11:16:52 -0800

Hi Gene,

You didn't mention how big your temp tablespace is. Possibly it is too small or the report is doing some ugly things in it.

This will tell you how much room you have left. Replace the 8's with the database's block size. It assumes that your TEMP tablespace is actually named TEMP.

select f.ts#, t.name, count(f.block#) "Free Blocks",

       min(f.length)*8 "Min K", max(f.length)*8 "Max K" from sys.fet$ f, sys.ts$ t
where f.ts# = t.ts#
and t.name = 'TEMP'
group by f.ts#, t.name
order by 1;

This will tell you who is using the temp tablespace.

select distinct b.sid,

       b.serial#,
       substr(b.username, 1, 8) USERNAME,
       b.process,
       substr(c.segment_name, 1, 8) SEGMENT_NAME,
       bytes BYTES,
       substr(b.osuser, 1, 7) OS_USER,
       substr(b.machine, 1, 6) M_NAME,
       substr(b.program, 1, 12) PROGRAM
  from v$access a,
       v$session b,
       dba_segments c
 where c.owner = a.owner
   and a.sid = b.sid

   and b.status = 'ACTIVE'
   and c.segment_type = 'TEMPORARY';

Running these two scripts below will clear out the temp tablespace. Our TEMP tablespace normally set to pctincrease 10 and set to permanent and dictionary.

alter tablespace temp default storage(pctincrease 0);

alter tablespace temp default storage(pctincrease 10);

Jerry Whittle
ASIFICS DBA
NCI Information Systems Inc.
jerome.whittle_at_scott.af.mil