Re: Not able to connect to database

From: <rgaffuri_at_cox.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2003 05:01:39 -0800

you need a tnsnames.ora file. it tells toad and sqlplus or any other tool how to connect to the database. should go in

 Looking for C:\oracle\Network\Admin\tnsnames.ora  tnsnames.ora NOT found!

Im actually getting this error and it found my tnsnames.ora... I can ping the server through DOS, but not through toad. anyone who uses toad have an idea?

> From: "Santosh Varma" <vsantosh_at_psi.soft.net>
> Date: 2003/04/21 Mon AM 06:41:44 EDT
> To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
> Subject: Not able to connect to database
>
> i am getting the following error while accessing my application and also
> TOAD..
> anyone can give me how to solve this ?
>
> ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve service name
>

> Details:
> *** First assume we have a valid install and registry
> ***
> Oracle home is set to C:\oracle
> Bin path is set to C:\oracle\bin\
> Using: C:\ORACLE\BIN\ORA805.DLL
>
> 2) Oracle Home Key is SOFTWARE\ORACLE\HOME1
> Looking for TNS_ADMIN environmental variable
> TNS_ADMIN environmental variable doesnt exist,
> looking for TNS_ADMIN reg key using home key: >SOFTWARE\ORACLE\HOME1<
> TNS_ADMIN does not exist in SOFTWARE\ORACLE\HOME1
> looking for TNS_ADMIN reg key in \Oracle: >SOFTWARE\ORACLE\HOME1<
> Looking for OracleHomeKey\ORACLE_HOME
> Oracle Path is now C:\oracle\Network\Admin
> Looking for C:\oracle\Network\Admin\tnsnames.ora
> tnsnames.ora NOT found!
>

> Santosh

> ----

i am getting the following error while accessing my application and also TOAD..
anyone can give me how to solve this ?

ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve service name

Details:
*** First assume we have a valid install and registry
***
Oracle home is set to C:\oracle
Bin path is set to C:\oracle\bin\
Using: C:\ORACLE\BIN\ORA805.DLL

2) Oracle Home Key is SOFTWARE\ORACLE\HOME1
Looking for TNS_ADMIN environmental variable
TNS_ADMIN environmental variable doesnt exist,
looking for TNS_ADMIN reg key using home key: >SOFTWARE\ORACLE\HOME1<
TNS_ADMIN does not exist in SOFTWARE\ORACLE\HOME1
looking for TNS_ADMIN reg key in \Oracle: >SOFTWARE\ORACLE\HOME1<
Looking for OracleHomeKey\ORACLE_HOME
Oracle Path is now C:\oracle\Network\Admin
Looking for C:\oracle\Network\Admin\tnsnames.ora
tnsnames.ora NOT found!

Santosh

Upgrade Your Email - Click here!
Author: <rgaffuri_at_cox.net