Re: star_transformation_enabled performance question

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2003 13:16:39 -0800

One of the problems I find with writing up experiences and experiments is that the
effects are often bounded by the particular data set that you happen to use.

So far I've had very good results with
star transformation, but that maybe that's because I've always been looking at it in situations where it happens to be the best thing to do.

It would be interesting to start a project to categorise data sets where different features perform particularly badly, or particularly well - using real data, rather than trying to guess what people might do.

The star transformation is particularly effective when the conditions against the dimension tables identify a very restricted set of rows in the fact table - I imagine there are cases where it would perform quite badly if the quantity of data ultimately targeted in the fact table was quite large, leading to a very expensive join-back. Might that be relevant in your case ?

Regards

Jonathan Lewis
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

  The educated person is not the person
  who can answer the questions, but the
  person who can question the answers -- T. Schick Jr

One-day tutorials:
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/tutorial.html

____UK_______April 22nd
____USA_(FL)_May 2nd
____Denmark__May 21-23rd
____Sweden___June
____Finland__September
____Norway___September

Three-day seminar:
see http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/seminar.html

____UK_(Manchester)_May x 2
____Estonia___June (provisional)
____Australia_June (provisional)
____USA_(CA, TX)_August

The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ

> Listers,
>
> 8.1.7.4 64 Bit Solaris 8. Looking at a database where
> "_star_transformation_enabled "(now a hidden underscore parameter)
is set to
> false. When asking about the history of why this is set to false, I
was told
> they had issues with the TEMP tables that were created during the
execution
> phase. Did an alter session setting it to true and ran some tests on
some
> good candidates, watched the CBO choose the star transformation, and
in all
> but one case the star transformation plan was much slower. Changed
> TEMP_DISABLE to not use TEMP tables, and things still weren't so
good. I'm
> planning on doing some more testing, getting a delta on session
stats,
> monitoring TEMP segments, etc.
>
> There will be an upgrade to 9i sometime in the near future. Has
anyone
> noticed substantial (or even minor) differences in the behavior of
star
> transformations? Maybe better handling of memory and temp tables?
And yes, I

Author: Jonathan Lewis
  INET: jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk