RE: Large databases

From: Lyndon Tiu <ltiu_at_alumni.sfu.ca>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2003 10:51:44 -0800

Normalization is relative. Depends who you talk to and what you are trying to do. Normalization is necessary but only up to a point.

When you said the normalized database performed faster, how do you know it will perform slower if not normalized, did you test it?

Also, Normalization is not a one step process, you can normalize up to first normal form only or second normal form only.

After designing my database, the first thing the Access DBA said was: "I have a book about designing databases and a chapter about normalization. You should read it." and then he showed me his ER Diagram with neat little 4 column tables. The funny thing is, the tables have 4 columns not because of normalization but because he would only put a max of 4 columns worth of information in a table. As in:

Person pk
Person full name
Person DOB
Person sex

--
Lyndon Tiu

Quoting Jared.Still_at_radisys.com:

-- Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.net -- Author: Lyndon Tiu INET: ltiu_at_alumni.sfu.ca Fat City Network Services -- 858-538-5051 http://www.fatcity.com San Diego, California -- Mailing list and web hosting services --------------------------------------------------------------------- To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing).