Re: Information on multi threading of calls to procedures/functions i

From: Arup Nanda <orarup_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2003 07:56:54 -0800

Siva,

Not sure what you mean exactly. Let me rephrase it:

You have several source databases you want to refresh a materialized view ata single target site (your DW database). You want to update the taget MV concurrently from the sources.

If this is your requirements, here is an approach. Create the MV with ON PREBUILT TABLE option. Make the MV table partitioned so that each source occupies one partition. If you use 9i, it's pretty simple using LIST partitioning. If you need to partition on some other field, say, a date, then have a RANGE-LIST composite partitioning.

If you can, use Matelized view logs on the source tables to capture only the changed data; but if you usea time based refresh this may not be necessary.

I designed such a datawarehouse with 25 sources and 10 years worth of data. I also gave a presentation about it. If you want, I can send it to you.

Hope this helps.

Arup Nanda
www.proligence.com

Author: Arup Nanda