RE: Database performance monitoring tool for developers.

From: April Wells <awells_at_csedge.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2003 05:48:54 -0800

HEY! I don't feel so bad!

I was working on a VMS (I HATE Eve) and was installing Oracle Designer. The install kept bombing and I kept trying to get it to work. Finally I got angry and decided to just start over.

The designer tables were in my schema. So was the General Ledger system tables that I was designing for the company I was with at the time.

There was an uninstall option on the designer installation, so I told it to uninstall. I don't know EXACTLY what it does, but it does NOT know what it puts into the schema. It removes everything in the schema... EVERY THING... as effective as recreating it.

We did NOT have backups (they weren't backing up the non-operations control parts of the VMS at all at that time) so I lost everything except the re-create scripts that were on my PC. I didn't get fired, and the guy who did our install told my boss that he would rather have me as a DBA after that than most of the people he deals with, because now I know the ramifications of not knowing what something does, and the criticality of a good backup (even of development... which we didn't have before I did that, either).

April Wells
Oracle DBA/Oracle Apps DBA
Corporate Systems
Amarillo Texas
Well-behaved women rarely make history

Author: Rachel Carmichael
  INET: wisernet100_at_yahoo.com

The information contained in this communication, including attachments, is strictly
confidential and for the intended use of the addressee only; it may also contain
proprietary, price sensitive, or legally privileged information. Notice is hereby given that
any disclosure, distribution, dissemination, use, or copying of the information by anyone
other than the intended recipient is strictly prohibited and may be illegal. If you have
received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail,
delete this communication, and destroy all copies.

Corporate Systems, Inc. has taken reasonable precautions to ensure that any attachment to
this e-mail has been swept for viruses. We specifically disclaim all liability and will
accept no responsibility for any damage sustained as a result of software viruses and advise
you to carry out your own virus checks before opening any attachment.

Author: April Wells
  INET: awells_at_csedge.com