RE: Database performance monitoring tool for developers.

From: Cary Millsap <cary.millsap_at_hotsos.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 18:06:55 -0800

One more thing while I'm kind of on the topic... Guys, my ratio of screw-ups to attempts is as high as anyone's. But the fastest I've ever learned has been by paying attention to those screw-ups, calling them what they were, and then for heaven's sake writing them down so I could remember them. And in fact so that other people can remember them too. Hiding them helps no one.

There should be no actual shame in screwing up if the attempt is honorable, and if you're not making the same dumb mistake a second or third time. I think there's a big difference between "I am an idiot" and "I on occasion have done idiotic things." The cemeteries are full of people who didn't learn from their own mistakes...

Cary Millsap
Hotsos Enterprises, Ltd.
http://www.hotsos.com

Upcoming events:

- Hotsos Clinic 101 in London, Reykjavik, Ottawa, Denver, Sydney
- Visit www.hotsos.com for schedule details...
- IOUG-A Live 2003, Orlando, 10am Monday 28 April: "Oracle Operational
Timing Data"

Author: Rachel Carmichael
  INET: wisernet100_at_yahoo.com

Author: Spears, Brian