RE: Large databases

From: <Jared.Still_at_radisys.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 11:47:03 -0800

> There was also a quote, the gist of which (I don't recall it exactly),
was
> something like: No large, fully normalized database can perform worth
> diddly.

This is just silly.

Of course, metrics were provided to support this statement, right?

Will a single table be easier to query than a 3 table join? Yes.

So what?

Will a single table be faster to query than a 3 table join? Yes.

Again, so what? Just because option A is faster than option B, does not mean that the performance of option B is unacceptable.

Why not just put the whole database in one table, and then use code tables to determine which rows to query. I think we've had this discussion before.

Jared

  INET: Jared.Still_at_radisys.com