RE: Large databases

From: Paul Vincent <Paul.Vincent_at_uce.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 03:38:37 -0800

OK - here's a real-life example: HESA, the UK Higher Education Statistical Agency, list dozens (verging on hundreds) of statistical/demographic code values which they require to be entered for each student attending the university. Any given student will be assigned one and only one value for each of these codes, so even if we split off "HESA codes" as a separate table from the rest of the data for a student (such as name, home address etc), that still leaves us with a fully normalised table of "Student HESA data" which has near enough a hundred columns.

Your final sentence is bizarre! Sure, normalisation leads to thinner tables, but thinner can mean "100 columns as opposed to 1000" just as readily as "4 columns as opposed to 12". It all depends just how many of those pesky attributes you've got in the application.

Paul Vincent
DBA
University of Central England

Author: Chris Berry