RE: New Character set

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 13:19:09 -0800

In addition to the other comments here's a gotcha that didn't annoy me at all, oh no. nope no annoyance here. We are about to move our main financial system to 9.2 from 8.1.7 and we run on a win32 platform. Now under 9.2 you really are encouraged to use the mswin32 character set whereas under 8i We8ISO9959P1 is the default. So I create the DB and import. I get the possible character set conversion warning but hey, the two are compatible so I ignore it. We test. We discover that we can generate invoices with ¸ in them. This is not a good thing. We halt testing. We recreate with appropriate character sets. We retest. Same problem. We 'prove' it isn't an issue in production by running invoices on our test box. Ah - we seem to have cedillas here as well and have been sending them out on invoices for the last 3 years. Testing resumes on a win32 character set a week late.

Bottom line if you do find you have a character set conversion problem on conversion - make sure it isn't due to bad data.

Bloody 'smart quotes'. Did I mention I was annoyed at all?

Niall
Author: Niall Litchfield
  INET: niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com

to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Wed Apr 16 2003 - 16:19:09 CDT