RE: Large databases

From: Nelson, Allan <anelson_at_midf.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 12:43:50 -0800

CREATE TABLE PERSON (

   PERSON_ID		NUMBER,
   FNAME			VARCHAR2(20),
   MNAME			VARCHAR2(20),
   LNAME			VARCHAR2(30),
   RACE_ID			NUMBER(25), /*allows for proliferation
of pc categories */
   BIRTH_DATE		DATE,
   AGE			NUMBER(3),
   HANDEDNESS		CHAR(1),
   SEX			CHAR(1),
   HEIGHT			NUMBER(3),
   WEIGHT			NUMBER(3),
   WAIST			NUMBER(2),
   INSEAM			NUMBER(2),
   COLLAR			NUMBER(2),
   ARM_LEN			VARCHAR2(5),
   HAT_SIZE			VARCHAR2(4),
   SHOE_SIZE		VARCHAR2(5),
   EYE_COLOR_CD		VARCHAR2(3),
   HAIR_COLOR_CD		VARCHAR2(3),
   MARRIED			CHAR(1),
   EDUCATION_CD		NUMBER(1),

)

Now, that's over 20 and afaik normalized, no repeating groups, no dependency on non key atttibutes, just to point out that aribitrary numerical limits don't mean much if no business requirements are in view.

Allan

Author: Chris Berry
  INET: compjma_at_hotmail.com

command for other information (like subscribing).

This email is intended solely for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged information.  Copying, forwarding or distributing this message by persons or entities other than the addressee is prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please contact the sender immediately and delete the material from any computer.  This email may have been monitored for policy compliance.  [021216]

Author: Nelson, Allan
  INET: anelson_at_midf.com