RE: Large databases

From: Lyndon Tiu <ltiu_at_alumni.sfu.ca>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 11:19:43 -0800

I always do this.

I tell people the difference between back-end and front-end. Oracle is more of a back-end database with very rich back-end functions.

Access is more front-end database(yes, Access is known to be a front-end to other databases) with a very rich user interface.

Either database is OK depending on the needs. Most users are only interested in what they see and when they see that Access has a really rich user interface, then they think it is THE database.

Same thing wehen developing a data drivern website. Most people think what they see on the website is the work that you did (Wow nice flashy colors!!). They do not know that the amount of work that goes in the rear(things that you do not see) makes up more than 80% (my experience) of the work.

--
Lyndon Tiu

-- Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.net -- Author: Lyndon Tiu INET: ltiu_at_alumni.sfu.ca Fat City Network Services -- 858-538-5051 http://www.fatcity.com San Diego, California -- Mailing list and web hosting services --------------------------------------------------------------------- To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing).